Collision Reapir F.A.Q.s
Being involved in a collision is a stressful experience. Please feel free to contact us at your convenience if you have any questions. We are here to help you through this unpleasant experience. Here are some common questions people ask us all the time:
- What do I do in case of an accident?
- Do I have to have my Vehicle repaired at a repair center chosen by my insurance company?
- If I don’t get my vehicle repaired at a repair center preferred by the insurance company can I still get a lifetime warrant?
- Will I have additional out-of-pocket expense if I go to a repair center that is not preferred by the insurance company?
- Do I have to get 2 or 3 different repair estimates for my insurance company?
- How should I choose a collision repair facility?
Q: What do I do in case of an accident?
Call the police to the scene of the collision. If you’re injured, it’s important that you get treatment immediately. Even if there doesn’t appear to be any damage to your vehicle, a police report will verify that you and the other parties were involved in a collision. This will help your claim in case hidden damage is discovered later.
It is wise to keep an easily accessible collision reference sheet in your vehicle at all times, such as in your glove compartment. To see a copy of what a collision reference sheet is, click here to see our Collision Reference Sheet.
Contact your insurance company as soon as possible after the collision – check your policy, as some policies require notice within 24 hours. Your insurance company is there to help you deal with the other parties involved in the collision.
Q: Do I have to have my Vehicle repaired at a repair center chosen by my insurance company?
NO! Unlike health insurance, your auto policy allows you to go to the collision repair center of your choice and typically at no extra cost to you.
Insurance companies only offer "Direct Repair Programs" or have preferred shops as an option for you. Only you, the vehicle's owner, is authorized to have collision repair work done on your vehicle.
Q: If I don’t get my vehicle repaired at a repair center preferred by the insurance company can I still get a lifetime warranty?
Yes. Most high quality repair centers off a lifetime warranty. Make sure the repair center of your choice offers a written lifetime warranty. Click here to see Libertyville Auto Body’s Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Q: Will I have additional out-of-pocket expense if I go to a repair center that is not preferred by the insurance company?
No. Libertyville Auto Body works with every insurance company at no extra cost to the customer. You will not be responsible for any other costs aside from your deductible.
Q: Do I have to get 2 or 3 different repair estimates for my insurance company?
No. You are not required to and there is no law that says that you have to get multiple repair estimates. Additionally, your insurance company cannot force you to get more than 1 estimate.
Q: How should I choose a collision repair facility?
Look for a clean, well-organized facility, with vehicles in the parking lot that are at least equal in value to your own.
Modern equipment and evidence of collision repair training show that a business is up-to-date with technology and can repair your vehicle properly. Some of the most important things to look for in a collision repair facility include:
• Modern equipment
• Evidence of proper collision repair training
• Warranty program
• Gold-Class Professional - I-CAR (Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair) Certification
• Platinum Individual l I-CAR (Inter-Industry Conference on Auto Collision Repair) Technician Certification
• ASE (National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence) certified technicians